Knowledge search – intelligent and construction specific search engine
Catenda is exploring the potential of IFD by developing KnowledgeSearch a semantic search engine powered by the buildingSMART library. The project was initially started as a proof-of-concept to show how IFD could help looking up relevant design details from SINTEF Byggforsk Building Design Sheets (Byggforskserien) from a Ifc based BIM. It then turned out that the technique used was a really elegant way of accesing a huge range of design details by drilling up or down through a logical tree related terms associated to the design deatils. We therefore developed “KnowledgeSearch” as a tool to gain fast access to the 800+ details embedded in the Building Design Sheets from SINTEF.
KnowledgeSearch in a nutshell:
- Web based search tool with REST API for external access.
- Based on real construction knowledge, find what you need faster
- Multi lingual. Support all languages in IFD, the buildingSMART library
- Never more than 3 clicks avay from an answer. Drill down by filtering on terms related to what you search for.
- Better and better search with time. Visual Search learns automatically. Whenever something is added to the IFD library, Visual Search will be equally smarter in its searching.
- buildingSMART based, but usable for everyone.
- Can be called from other buildingSMART tools.
- Will be available on iPhone, Android and Windows mobile by end 2010.